Are you getting an error saying QuickBooks stopped working? Do not panic; we are here to help eliminate the “QuickBooks won’t open” error. Sometimes your QuickBooks desktop stops working, or you get an error on the screen saying QB won’t work. Firstly, ensure that you are not clicking on the QB icon multiple times to open it will not open. Give it some time to open, and then start working. Sending numerous requests could also allow errors to come up. What to do if your QuickBooks begin to open and then close? It becomes challenging for QuickBooks users to fix these errors on time so they can get back to working on QuickBooks. But it is also essential to know the causes behind this error so that we can try to avoid the error. Let us know about the reasons in the next section.
Are you looking for immediate assistance from one of our QuickBooks experts? You can get in touch with us by dialing directly on 1.855.738.2784. Discuss the “QuickBooks won’t open” error with our experts and get instant solutions to fix the error.
Please note that when removing any such QuickBooks error, it is essential to back up your files. Having a backup will keep you safer in case there is any harm to the data during the error-removing process. You can also set your QuickBooks auto data recovery tool to take automatic updates from time to time. It also keeps you hassle-free and takes regular updates automatically.
What causes the QuickBooks won’t open errors to pop up?
Let us understand the causes behind this, as it will help us avoid the error so that it cannot enter your system.
- Having a long company file name or special characters in it can lead to an error in QuickBooks.
- If your hard disk is corrupted, it could also lead to the QB not opening error.
- Missing or damaged QBWUSER.INI file could also allow the error to enter your system.
- Check if there is any fault in the QuickBooks installation, as your QB desktop just wouldn’t open.
- Ensure that your operating system is not outdated.
Signs of the QuickBooks could not open error
- QuickBooks software might freeze suddenly.
- You will not be able to open your QuickBooks company file.
- The windows will start responding very slowly.
- Your system will begin hanging frequently.
- The PC will respond slowly to the command given through the keyboard and mouse.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 6069
Some essential points to keep in mind before fixing the error
- Update your QuickBooks
- Turn the hosting off on the system
- Try suppressing your QuickBooks desktop
- Rename the .nd and .tlg files
- Repair your QuickBooks software
Quick fixes for the QuickBooks won’t open error
Try these quick fixes first before we move on to the solutions section. First, check if they can help you resume working on QuickBooks. If not, you can move to the solutions.
- Update your QuickBooks software to its latest version
- Turn the hosting system off
- Rename the files with extensions .nd and .tlg
- Repair your QuickBooks once
Solutions to fix the QuickBooks not starting error
This error might be frustrating for QuickBooks users, who would want to fix it on priority. That is the reason we have bought some simple and easy solutions. You can go through them, implement them step by step, and check if the error goes away. We have listed a few solutions so that you can refer to the other one if any of them does not work.
Solution 1: Try renaming the QBWUSER.ini file
- Navigate to the folder that has the ini file
- If you cannot locate you can enable hidden folders and files
- Once you discover it, then tap on QBWUSER.ini.file and then tap to rename it
- Insert .old in the file name
- Now rename the ecml.file
- Once it has been renamed, check if QuickBooks is working now
- If yes, then the QuickBooks won’t open error has gone
Solution 2: Suppress your QuickBooks installation
- Right-click on your QuickBooks icon
- Tap on the ctrl key and then choose open
- Keep holding the ctrl key until the “no company open window” pops up
- Try opening QuickBooks desktop now and check if it is working
Solution 3: End the QBW32.exe process
- Go to the windows taskbar and right-click on it
- Choose the start task manager option
- Tap on the Processes tab and then click on the image name to arrange them alphabetically
- Select exe
- At last, click on end process to close the exe process
Solution 4: Repair QuickBooks installation
- Hold the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys together
- Tap on the task manager option
- Press on the processes tab
- Right-click on any QuickBooks processes
- Click on the end process
- As you see a confirmation process tap on end all processes
- Restart your QuickBooks again
- At last, click on repair QuickBooks
Solution 5: Make a new Windows user admin
- Head to the control panel and click on it
- Click twice on the user account and then click on manage user
- Tap on add
- Once completed, type in the name and domain of the administrator and then click on ok
- Select administrator if you are using windows 10
- After clicking on finish, it will direct to the user accounts dialogue box
- At last, click on ok
If none of these solutions can help you get away with the “QB will not open” error, you can try restarting your pc. We have also mentioned some more solutions for you.
Solution 6: Take help of quick fix my program
- Download the tool hub on your system
- Save the downloaded file to a location
- Start installing it and complete the on-screen prompts
- Do not forget to agree to the terms and conditions
- Finish installing it and then open it
- Navigate to program problems and then click on quick fix my program
- Now run QuickBooks and check if the error has been resolved
Solution 7: Try accessing company files from a different location
- Press Windows + E key
- Windows explorer will open up
- Look for the qbw file extension
- Copy the file by right-clicking on it
- Look for C:drive and then create a new folder
- Name it as QB Test
- Now open the folder and paste the company file here
- Open QuickBooks while pressing ctrl
- Try accessing the company file you have copied
Solution 8: Take the help of QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
- Open the QuickBooks tool hub
- Move to the installation issues tab
- Choose the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
- Let the tool perform the necessary scan
- Once it scans the issue or any error, it will rectify it on its own
- The process might take a little time
- Reboot your system to save the changes
- Check if the QuickBooks desktop won’t open error has gone away now
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 6123
Solution 9: Reinstall QuickBooks and then run a clean install
- Head to the windows start menu and look for the control panel
- Open the control panel
- Navigate to programs and features or uninstall a program
- Choose the version of QuickBooks that you want to remove
- Click on uninstall/change and then remove
- Do not forget to click on next
- You can also log out and then login in again windows as an admin
- Download QuickBooks
- Save the file on a location on your pc
- Open the downloaded file first
- Keep moving ahead with the on-screen instructions
- Make sure to accept the software license agreement and then hit next
- Type in your product and license number and again hit on next
For custom and network installation, follow these steps:
- Go to custom and network options
- Tap on next
- Select the option as per your QuickBooks usage
- Click on change install location
- Choose “browse” to place your folder
- Press next to begin the installation
- As it ends, open your QuickBooks
You can perform a clean install once you have successfully reinstalled your QuickBooks. Performing the clean install will help in fixing all the errors. It removes all the junk files away from your system. After completing the clean install, check if you can access your QuickBooks. You can find “clean install” in the tool hub and run it. You can look for it in the installation issues section.
Summing it up
We hope you have resolved the error “QuickBooks won’t open.” If you need help, please contact our QuickBooks experts. You can call us on 1.855.738.2784; our experts have experience handling QuickBooks errors. They can guide you with instant solutions to implement and get rid of the error. You can also address all your queries and concerns to them to get appropriate answers.
You may read also : QuickBooks Migration Failed Unexpectedly